Skip To Content

    Carlock, IL Home Search Guide Search all houses for sale by Realtor in Carlock, IL 61725

    Carlock was laid out on January 5, 1888, by John Franklin Carlock. Mr. Carlock owned 160 acres of land. One 80 acre tract was used to plat the original town of Carlock. It was located south of the hard road, Route 9, (now named U.S. Route 150) connecting Bloomington and Peoria. It was one of the last towns platted in McLean County. Just northeast of the present location of Carlock the main road from Bloomington to Peoria, which was locally known as the Old Trail passed or the Old Peoria Trail, ascended a low range of wooded hills. This location had long been of interest to townsite developers. The first attempt was made by a local farmer John McGee, who in 1838 laid out the town of Livingston; it consisted of seven blocks and a town square. Livingston was a total failure. McGee was unable to sell a single lot. The second attempt at town founding was more successful. By the 1850s a small cluster of houses and stores had begun to cluster just west of McGee’s townsite. In 1866 a post office was established with the name Oak Grove. On July 17, 1879, an official town plat was filed. Soon there were about twenty dwellings, a large town hall, two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a steam-driven mill a harness and shoe shop, and a brass band. One reporter wrote that all the town needed “is a railroad”

    Contact Us Now

    Any questions, comments, or feedback

    Blog & Headlines